Re: Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 17:21:51 +0800

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 4:56 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-09 11:40]:
> > I try to test the mathpix.el package located at
> > <https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el>, using Emacs git master
> > version on Ubuntu 20.04 with the following methods:
> >
> > # Clone the github repo:
> > $ cd .emacs.d/elpa
> > $ git clone https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el.git mathpix.el.git
> >
> > Add the following code snippet into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
> >
> > (load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
> > (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
> > (mathpix-app-key "app_key")
> >
> > Start Emacs and run the following command to do the test:
> >
> > "M-x mathpix-screenshot RET"
> >
> > Then I meet the following error:
> >
> > Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> > ‘/home/apollo/.emacs.d/init.el’:
> >
> > Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
> >
> > To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> > cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> > the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
> > showing Disable logging
>
> (load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
> (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
> (mathpix-app-key "app_key")
>
> At first place in a list within parenthesis comes the instruction on
> what to do with the list:
>
> Recommended is to evaluate the below:
> (info "(eintr) Run a Program")
>
> As in this case `mathpix-app-id' should be instruction to evaluate
> something. That instruction is defined as a function usually.
>
> (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
>
> Because the function `mathpix-app-pid' does not exist, there is error.
>
> Instead, what you need most probably is:
>
> (setq mathpix-app-id "app_id")
>
> as then the instruction `set' or "Set quoted" means to assign the
> value "app_id" to variable `mathpix-app-id'.

According to your above comment, I adopt with the following settings:

(load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
(setq mathpix-app-id "my_app_id")
(setq mathpix-app-key "my_app_key")

But I still can't do the conversion successfully and will meet the
following info in the *Messages* buffer:

Public/repo/github.com/jwiegley/use-package.git/bind-key.el: Warning:
Use keywords rather than deprecated positional arguments to
`define-minor-mode'
.emacs.d/init.el: Warning: (lambda nil \.\.\.) quoted with ' rather than with #'
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Content not found [2 times]

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China