Re: Emacs Versions: major, minor and ...?

From: mrf
Subject: Re: Emacs Versions: major, minor and ...?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 06:56:20 +0300

Colin Baxter writes:

> The current emacs development version is "28.0.5". I know that "28" is
> the value of the emacs-major-version variable and "0" is the value of
> the emacs-minor-version variable. I assume "5" is also the value of a
> variable, but what's its name?

The third number after the dots is called micro or in some projects
patch, please take a look at semantic versioning (semver.org) and the
book (Producing Open Source Software by karl fogel)<free and gratis
book> despite the name of this book the author (karl fogel) is
mentioning the relation between free software and open source and uses
the term to describe same thing, anyway this book explain at chapter 7
the naming practices in software development.

In addition take look at the section that describe even/odd
(stable/unstable) strategy:

https://producingoss.com/en/development-cycle.html

BTW This is basic software engineering issue.