Re: [EBDB] How to create a role (record)?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: [EBDB] How to create a role (record)?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 17:01:35 +0530

> Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@optimizory.com> writes:
>
>> How to create a new Role type of record? I could not find a command in
>> the help. And the one mentioned in ‘section 4.4.1 Role’ fields is not
>> working. This section specifies ‘F’. But this is bound to
>> ‘ebdb-format-these-records’.
>
> Huh, something went wrong in the manual there. "Using the 'F'"? The
> proper key is "R", to both create a new record, and give the record
> under point a role in that new record.

Ok. I should have found that out.

> A role is a field type, not a record type, so you can create a role as
> normal by hitting "i" and then selecting "role" as the type. That
> requires both records (person and organization) to already exist.
>
> That reminds me, I've been meaning to add a hook so that, after a new
> record is created, EBDB checks if its mail addresses matches any
> organization domain, and offers to create a role field. I'll see if I
> can add that today, and release a new version.

I am happy with the a similar functionality that already
exists. i.e. when I assign a role, EBDB already checks if the main
email-ID matches with the organization’s domain and pulls the email-ID
to associate it with the user-role relationship. It works perfectly. But
I was stuck in a scenario where I wanted to assign a role which is not
already existing. i.e. I want to create a new Organization; either
on-the-fly (hit ‘i’ while on a record, select ‘role’, “assign or create
role”) or create a top level organization type record.

And I have completely forgot how I created the roles that are already in
my database. In this thread, I wanted to know only this. How to create
new organization records?

--
Regards ~Pankaj