Re: Emacs i18n

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 09:03:05 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-07-17 23:58]:
> Alexandre Garreau wrote:
>
> > Translating emacs would require to translate many
> > identifiers, it would actually amount to translate
> > a programming language
>
> I don't think anyone suggests doing that, I think what can be
> translated is *the interface*, so for example in the menu
> "Quit" or "Exit" or whatever it says (I'm not a menu user)
> _that_ would be translated. I don't think there are a lot of
> advantages doing this, and I do see some DISadvantages, so
> I think it shouldn't be done, actually, but the suggestion
> isn't "translate everything", that would be an insane, almost,
> rather than a bad suggestion.

Many things could be translated, it is about GNU Project to organize
translation efforts:

- TUTORIAL is translated in many languages, it could be done in more,
  this is first essential document to start with.

- Emacs Lisp Intro and Manual could be translated in other languages;
  let us say if it is translated into German language then this would
  be the jumping board or starting point to continue translation of
  other parts of Emacs;

- Menu system definitely could be translate, but maybe it is just like
  so much software uses gettext, I would not know. I would say not
  even to translate it if Emacs Lisp Intro and Manual are not yet
  ready in the same language.

- GNU MANIFESTO (I don't find it), GNU Project and other GNU website
  pages as linked from Emacs are I guess already translated in many
  languages. I did not test it but I doubt that Emacs is checking for
  locale settings and fetching the right translated page from website,
  it should. If user is on German language then Emacs should fetch
  German version from GNU Project website;

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman