Re: How to remove a property from an overlay?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to remove a property from an overlay?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 22:47:32 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:12:26 +0200
>
> >> (overlay-put ovl 'prop nil)
> >>
> >> which does not really remove it, only sets it to nil?
> >
> > What's the difference?
>
> When I say `(overlay-properties ovl)', I can see `prop' set to nil.
> Before setting it, I couldn't.

And why is that difference important?

Overlay properties exist to search for them with the likes of
next-single-char-property-change, and those don't distinguish between
the two.

But if you must remove the property, I think the only way is to make
another overlay with all the properties except the one you want to
remove.