Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 10:05:32 +0800

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 9:16 AM Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Are these newsgroups or mailing lists? I can't find them on:
> > <https://www.gnus.org/resources.html>.
>
> Ok, my mistake, I was confused by the gmane group name.  This should be
> correct:

> Group:        gnu.emacs.gnus or gmane.emacs.gnus.user
>
> I hope these correspond to each other.  I also found this:
>
>   https://gnus.org/resources.html
>
> but I don't recall whether these "ding" addresses are still valid or if
> they were replaced with other names (or just aliases?).
>
>   (info "(gnus) Gnus Development")

If you try (info "(gnus) History"), Emacs will direct you to an info
page, which says the following:

;;;
If you want to investigate the person responsible for this outrage,
you can point your (feh!)  web browser to <https://quimby.gnus.org/>.
This is also the primary distribution point for the new and spiffy
versions of Gnus, and is known as The Site That Destroys Newsrcs And
Drives People Mad.
;;;

Then I find the following info on
<https://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/distribution.html>:

;;;
Downloading the development Gnus version from git

The server uses packed refs. Make sure your version of Git can handle
them (1.7.0.4 and later definitely do).

Public access

git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git
;;;

I tried with the above git clone command, but failed as shown below:

$ git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git
Cloning into 'gnus'...
fatal: unable to access 'http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git/': Empty reply from server

In short, the gnus related stuff in Emacs looks a bit confusing.

> has some information which should be up to date and mentions the names I
> have listed at the top.
>
> Michael.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province