Re: How to setup default program to launch directory?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to setup default program to launch directory?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:21:03 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2021-10-14 03:31]:
> I wrote:
>
> > AFAICT COMMAND is also allowed to return a list of strings.
>
> Apparently only my personal modified version supports that.  Do you
> think that would be a useful feature in general?

Yes. I find that useful and necessary to act upon directories based on
the user defined types. Examples are:

- Maildir type, with subdirectories being cur/tmp/new, it would open
  my email client or Emacs maildir package that I use;

- DVD type, when directory has VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS to play it with
  vlc or mpv player;

- Directory is for the archived website, and contains user defined
  string, it should be opened by browser.

- In my system Hyperscope, directories are forgotten, but are related
  to a list of different other items. Each directory has its ID
  number. When entering such directory I would rather like to enter
  into the Hyperscope full list of items. By using string recognition
  of directory or function to recognize string, I could invoke the
  function.

- Some directories include pictures, videos, and maybe I like to open
  it in a faster picture viewer than what is Emacs.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman