Gnus accumulating copies of a draft when sending is not possible

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Gnus accumulating copies of a draft when sending is not possible
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:00:33 +0200

Hello Emacs

Thankfully I overcame authentication problems with the smtp server under
Windows.  (I think it was a misconfiguration of MSYS2, Gnus couldn't
find my ~/.authinfo) But during this I observed that when using a draft
as a test for sending (with D s and sending was not possible) then the
draft was always duplicated!  When restarting there were also messages
like "Do you want to save the draft" but I always refused.  Even though
during testing I accumulated over a dozen drafts of the same content.

Why is Gnus doing this?

Thank you

      Dieter

GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2021-10-19
Gnus v5.13