Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:41:41 +0200

Ivano Da Milano <18101982.ia@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Batch rename
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it is possible, either
>> directly from Elisp or some solution/combination with/from
>> Dired and/or the shell ...
>
> I mean renaming files all at once, applying string manipulation to the
> file name

Dired can rename files matched by a regexp, and use \N in the
replacement to insert the string matched by the N-th group of the
regexp, and there are also many other file transformations, see (info
"(emacs) Transforming File Names").

Or even better: you can make a dired buffer writable and just edit what
you are seeing there, i.e., filenames, and permissions, see (info
"(emacs) Wdired").  Of course, you can also use keyboard macros when
doing so, see (info "(emacs) Keyboard Macros").

Bye,
Tassilo