Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 10:42:51 +0200

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Well, obviously no one is cracking your account because
> `random' isn't random enough :)
>
> Well, if they do it at a industrial standard level (I didn't
> see such a standard myself, but I trust Yuri has) there is no
> reason we shouldn't be there as well ...

Depends on what the passwords are used for. EC card PINs have only 10^4
~ 2^13 different "passwords".  But it's not possible to try them all.

But when you have stolen a hashed password of a length of only 8 chars
or even less, it is already in reach to restore the password with a lot
of time.  If the used entropy was actually less than 2^48, I think we
are entering a problematic terrain.  Depends on the costs of the hashing
algorithm used for your account.

Michael.