Re: Embedded list selection with ido-completing-read.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Embedded list selection with ido-completing-read.
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 23:25:50 +0800

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 11:18 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 11:15 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
> GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> >
> > > My Emacs was compiled with the `--with-native-compilation`
> > > option, as suggested here [1], so I think the byte-compile
> > > will be done automatically on my Emacs machine. BTW, here
> > > are the detailed git master Emacs compilation steps used by
> > > me:
> > >
> > > $ ./autogen.sh
> > > $ ./configure CFLAGS="-g3 -O2" --without-m17n-flt
> > > --with-native-compilation
> > > $ make -j $(nproc) bootstrap
> > > $ make -j $(nproc) NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1
> > > $ make tags
> > > $ sudo make install
> > >
> > > [1] https://ddavis.io/posts/emacs-native-centos7/
> >
> > Byte-compile Elisp != build Emacs ... see lines 59-62:
> >
> >   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/Makefile
>
> byte-compile  = $(emacs)                                     \
>     --batch                                                   \
>     --eval "(setq load-path (append load-path '($(packs)))))" \
>     -f batch-byte-compile
>
> TBF, I really have never used Emacs like this ;-(

It seems that we are talking about the thing noted here [1]:

At a quick glance it looks like there is some unconventional packaging
going on in their repo.
They probably shouldn't be distributing compiled elisp files. Those
are not guaranteed to be bytecode compatible between Emacs versions
and should be generated by the user's Emacs.

[1] https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/871#issuecomment-950265097