Re: Verticality and future of display engine and lines (bis) [Was: Re: R

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Verticality and future of display engine and lines (bis) [Was: Re: RTL lines]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:28:39 +0200

Le jeudi 28 octobre 2021, 11:28:40 CEST Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> > From: Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:18:55 +0200
> >
> > “Vietnamese (Vietnamese: tiếng Việt) is an Austroasiatic language”
> > from
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_language (which firefox
> > displays just fine, screenshot attached).
> >
> > For some reason, for me, within emacs, this displays bad: the e is
> > oversmall, while using combining diacritics displays right: “tiếng
> > Việt”.
> Your default font doesn't support Vietnamese; find a better font, if
> you want Vietnamese text to be displayed without this ugliness.

Still not a user problem, as one should not have to manually search and
gather fonts before to start reading/seeing/discovering a certain script.
A such font should be installed by default.  But of course I can conceive
this is not emacs’ job but rather, dunno, most probably X’s one I guess
(more globally: debian’s one in my case).