Poll: best hackable window manager or DE for Emacs-loving freedom activi

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto
Subject: Poll: best hackable window manager or DE for Emacs-loving freedom activists
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 20:58:06 -0300

Hi.  I love digital ethics, GNU and Emacs!  Which keyboard-driven
hackable window manager (WM) or desktop environment (DE) do you
recommend?  I currently use GNOME 3 DE.  Years ago I used Enlightenment,
Xfce and Fluxbox but then I migrated to GNOME to learn a good libre and
user friendly DE so I could assist unskilled users such as my family.

I have now reconsidered---I want a hackable keyboard-driven WM or DE.
I'll keep GNOME installed as plan B for difficulties with the hacker WM.
Also, once in a while I will use GNOME just to preserve useful knowledge
for assisting unskilled users.

I also want to remap keys, so for example in IceCat and Gajim C-n will
mean <down> as in Emacs.  I have read this is easy on StumpWM, I hope it
is also easy in i3 and EXWM.  I would also prefer a WM with a system
tray, so it is easy (for example) to check for new messages on Gajim.

So far I am divided between i3 and EXWM.  EXWM would likely be cooler
and more hackable but lacks Wayland support, and Wayland is the near
future.  I don't want to have to learn another hacker WM for Wayland.
So the leading candidate is i3, since Sway implements i3 concepts on
Wayland.  I read it even accepts i3 config files.  Thus:

* Poll: best hackable and keyboard-driven WM/DE for sw freedom activists

1. i3/Sway
2. EXWM
3. Ratpoison
4. StumpWM
5. Awesome
6. bspwm
7. xmonad
8. GNOME
9. Mate
10. XFCE
11. LXDE
12. Other---specify:

Should support key remapping and be future-proof (Wayland).  Ideally
hackable in Elisp, Guile Scheme, Common Lisp or Bash; Python and C OK.
Low resource usage is desirable but good features take priority.

Regards

--
- Many people hate injustice but few check the facts; this causes more
  injustice.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>