Emacs adds extra lines when pasting whenever a # is found.

From: Jobst Schmalenbach
Subject: Emacs adds extra lines when pasting whenever a # is found.
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 09:46:29 +1100

Hi

I have a strange problem I cannot solve:

- I have two XTERMS open
- I run xterms run on either the same host or different hosts
- in both xterms I run emacs
- in both emacs I have the same source files open: bash or php or etc
- if I copy text in one emacs then paste it into the other emacs it ADDS an extra line whenever a '#' is found
- its annoying

I have searched the Internet, I haven't found a solution yet.

I am in the midst creating a new mail server.
When I copy/paste between two different hosts both having emacs editing a sendmail.mc file it does not happen. It quite happily pastes into the new sendmail.mc without adding extra lines as a comment in sendmail.mc is preceeded by a 'dnl'.

Anybody got any ideas how I can stop the PASTING emacs adding extra line whenever a # is found?

Thanks