Re: Dired command on same host

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: Dired command on same host
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:07:28 +0100

> Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>
> Hi Manuel,
>
>> I've tested it with tramp-use-scp-direct-remote-copying to t and
>> tramp-verbose to 6 but it does not work for me: it still use the method
>> via a file in /tmp (which fills up my /tmp with a big file). Sorry,
>> there is not much more to say.
>
> Please set tramp-verbose to 10, and rerun your test. Apply "M-x
> tramp-cleanup-all-connections" first. There will be two Tramp debug
> buffers; I'd like to see both.

Ok. I'll try this and report back.

>> In the meantime, I was trying to implement a new "scp -3" method into
>> tramp but I'm slow to catchup with the tramp codebase :)
>
> What will it be good for? It copies also via your local tmp directory,
> doesn't it?

My intent was to use scp default "-3" behaviour when source and
destination are remote hosts. Why? Because this behaviour works without
filling up my local (small) /tmp directory whereas tramp does. I don't
know how it works but it seems that a "scp hostA:file hostB:" does not
use /tmp.
--
Manuel Giraud