Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 06:59:45 +0100

emacsq <laszlomail@protonmail.com> writes:

>> What did you do exactly?
>
> I have a document with hundreds of urls in it which needs to be
> checked if they are still alive and well, so I fetched them one by one
> with a code like this:
>
> (condition-case errmsg
>     (url-retrieve
>      "http://www.example.com";
>
>      (lambda (status)
>        (let ((error (plist-get status :error)))
>          (if error
>              (print error))
>
>          ...do something, then check next url...))
>
>      )
>   (error (print errmsg)))

I'd start by printing the complete status plist and see if that sheds
some light.  I assume that you might be hitting some kind of "max number
of child processes" limit since you are talking about hundreds of URLs,
and `url-retrieve' is asynchronous.

You might want to check if `url-retrieve-synchronously' works.  If it
does (but takes much longer, obviously), then the above is most probably
the cause.  In that case, you could try to structure your code so that
it doesn't retrieve all URLs in one go but in chunks of, say, 20 and
starts the next chunk not before the previous is finished.

Bye,
Tassilo