Re: Why is GNU not Unix-like system?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why is GNU not Unix-like system?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:00:23 +0200

> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:21:50 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-02-19 22:39]:
> > > Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:30:47 +0300
> > > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > I did not know that. Though what do you think would this expression be
> > > more clear:
> > >
> > > "GNU and other Unix like systems"
> >
> > No.  We really do maintain that GNU is different from Unix systems.
>
> Of course it is different.
>
> Though it was made with purpose to be Unix-compatible system, see:
> https://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html
>
> Please tell me what makes GNU not to be Unix-like system.

I didn't say GNU wasn't "Unix-like".  I just said we routinely use
"GNU and Unix systems", that's all.  You can see that at work in the
Emacs manuals.  I cannot be held responsible for all the claptrap
which followed my naïve remark; I was just trying to tell that GTK
cannot be used on all platforms supported by Emacs.