Re: DragonFlyBSD

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: DragonFlyBSD
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 06:51:23 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:

> What I like is system consistency, like what Debian has,
> that one can upgrade the system over and over again without
> reboot, and all things work. Uptime like 536 days or 966
> days is what I have now on some computers with Debian.

Yeah I've used Debian for a long time, I like it a lot but
don't say necessarily it is better than other distros.

In particular, I think the package manager system and whole
idea installing stuff explicitely from the command line should
be replaced by a declarative system. It would have rollback
features and all, but that's not the most important thing, the
most important thing would be to have the system configurable
and setup with precision and ease in text files like you do
everything else in computing ...

Maybe Stefan and Tomas can tell you if this is happening ...
but I didn't hear anything it is, so I guess not.

It could look like asdf for CL perhaps that I know you're
familiar with [1] - and actually that can be improved even
further, as "depends-on" would be inferred :)

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/common-lisp/general-base/gb.asd

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal