Re: Understanding the behaviour of Emacs and Emacs Client

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Understanding the behaviour of Emacs and Emacs Client
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 08:59:12 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> And if Yes then what is the official way to terminate the residual
>> Emacs process in case (2) above?
>
> The official way is to type "M-x kill-emacs RET".  (But in general, if
> you use the "client" icon, the assumption is that you don't want to do
> that.  rather, leave the Emacs process running and use the client icon
> to open a new frame next time you want to do something in Emacs --
> this way, you keep all the history and the buffers inside the
> session, and the startup will be faster.)

Thanks for the explanation, Eli. The only time I would want to do that
is when I am shutting down or rebooting the system for some reason. I
want to cleanly exit and save all work. "M-x kill-emacs RET" certainly
helps.

Customization var like "kill-emacs-with-last-frame" could be a good
idea. Or "C-x C-c" on last frame may be used to default to this
behaviour; this will prevent any lost work due to reboot or
shutdown. Because the daemon is invisible after last frame. Just an
idea. "C-x 5 0" remains the same.