Re: no to war in Ukraine

From: goncholden
Subject: Re: no to war in Ukraine
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 14:02:15 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Wednesday, March 2nd, 2022 at 1:12 AM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Am not criticising you.  Just stating how things are.  One can make comments
and have all the good intentions in the world.  I just find westerners naive.
As is saying that peace will be established in exchange for conceding some
territories - also naive.  Ukraine held a third of nuclear weapons and many
bombers - and gave them all up thinking that such actions would ensure its
future security.

Nations that sacrifice their nuclear deterrents in exchange for promises of
international goodwill are often signing their own death warrants. In a world
bristling with weapons with the potential to end human civilization,
nonproliferation
itself is a morally worthwhile and even necessary goal. But the experience of
countries that actually have disarmed is likely to lead more of them to conclude
otherwise in future.