Re: Issue with remote async processes.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Issue with remote async processes.
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:14:20 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

Hi,

> What's reason process-file doesn't support to use a buffer for stderr?
>
> Performance? Technical?

History. process-file and start-process are derived from call-process
and start-file-process.

call-process allows only (REAL-BUFFER STDERR-FILE), and so does
process-file.

start-process allows only BUFFER in its docstring (no separation between
stdout and stderr). So start-file-process did originally. Later, when
I've reimplemented it in Tramp using make-process, I wanted to support
the separate stderr buffer of make-process, and I have extended it,
therefore. However, this is not reflected in the docstring, and you
might be better served to follow the official API, and use make-process
instead.

Best regards, Michael.