Re: Navigating an enormous code base

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Navigating an enormous code base
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 08:49:38 -0400

> Most often I work within a single project and want to navigate to
> files in the same project.

I think we have tools for that, such as `project-find-file` (and I'm
pretty sure there are several alternatives in third party packages).

> Less frequently I need to find a file in a sibling project.
> Unfortunately, there are ~400 siblings, though I very rarely visit
> more than 10.

I don't know of a tool for that, but I'd be interested.  I never have
400 siblings (more like less than 10), but I jump between siblings very
often.

There could be several notions of "sibling":
- jump from /foo/bar/main/src/hello.c to /foo/bar/stable/src/hello.c.
- jump from /foo/bar/main/src/hello.c to /foo/bar/main/test/src/hello-tests.el.
- jump from /foo/bar/main/src/hello.c to /foo/bar/main/src/hello.h.

Not sure if we'd want to treat them together or separately (we already
have code to switch between .h and .c).

        Stefan