Re: Format code snippets of the wolfram language to improve readability.

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Format code snippets of the wolfram language to improve readability.
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:59:26 +0200

On 27/04/2022 02:32, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 10:31 PM Thibaut Verron
<thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:
On 26/04/2022 16:00, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 9:17 PM Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Once the mode is activated, introducing newlines at key places should
make the formula readable.
Yes. It works. But this method needs to hit many times on <RET> to
achieve the goal.
You can also use sexp-navigation commands to
quickly navigate the parentheses and find those key points.
I don't have this command, as shown in the attachment.
It's not one command, but a set of commands for navigating paired
expressions: for example forward-sexp C-M-f (jumping over a symbol or a
paired expression), backward-sexp C-M-b, and down-list C-M-d (jumping
inside the next paired expression). Those commands are designed for lisp
languages, but they work remarkably well for most programming languages
(and are even occasionally useful with natural languages).

For example for your expression, you can get the formatted version I
sent with: (indented to follow the depth in the expression)

C-M-d
    C-M-d
      C-j
      C-M-f C-M-f C-f C-j
      C-M-d
        C-j
          C-M-d
            C-M-d
              C-M-f C-M-f C-f C-j
              C-M-f C-M-f C-f C-j
              C-M-f C-M-f C-f C-j
              C-M-f
            C-f
          C-f C-j
          C-M-f C-M-f
       C-f
    C-f C-j

I know that it looks somewhat complicated and long, but it's easier done
interactively than read. :)
It would be much more useful to generalize the working logic like the
one above and use a function implementation to handle the work here.

As usual with this type of questions, the difficulty is in formalizing the requirement.

For instance, if the goal is to break the line after each syntactic unit, that's reasonably easy to automatize. But then the first list will be 15 lines, so I don't think that's what you want.

But as it stands, there is no "working logic", it's an interactive process. And the best the editor can do is make this process easy, by letting us navigate through the possible points for inserting line breaks, and leaving the choice to us.

This is exactly what the sequence of key presses I suggested does: each M-C-f, M-C-d and C-f just means "jump to the next candidate break point", with sometimes C-M-f used for jumping over multiple points (such as the first list). And you just add a C-j (or RET) whenever you reach a point where you would like to break the expression.

If you have a precise way to describe the result you want, I'm sure writing a function to do it won't be too difficult.

Best wishes,

Thibaut

Regards,
HZ