Re: Emacs freezes when editing a file with one extremely long line even

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs freezes when editing a file with one extremely long line even with so-long-minor-mode enabled.
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 15:15:23 +0300

> From: Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca>
> CC: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 11:38:36 +0000
>
> On Sat, May 07 2022, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >> BTW, I opened it in vscode. The experience is very smooth and there
> >> are no such problems.
> >
> > Then you should post this to the VSCode forum instead.
>
> Eli (and Emmanuel), your answers are *unsatisfactory*.

I didn't answer any questions in what I wrote above, so I don't think
I understand what you are alluding to here.

> The bug Hongyi is reporting has afflicted emacs as long as I can
> remember (15-20 years). It has nothing to do with vscode per se: to
> confirm, I opened my .newsrc.eld file, generated by
> gnus. Incremental search caused emacs to crash.
>
> Are your answers to this problem: don't use gnus, it makes no sense; or,
> use vi?

If some command crashes Emacs, please submit a bug report using "M-x
report-emacs-bug RET", per the documentation.

The OP described slow responses, not a crash.  The problem with
extremely slow redisplay when lines are long is well known, and
patches to fix it are welcome, if someone knows how to do that.  Over
the years, I had my share of fixes in that area, which improved
things, but evidently not enough.