Re: A certain unicode character makes -git Emacs eat all the CPU and bec

From: Vladimir Nikishkin
Subject: Re: A certain unicode character makes -git Emacs eat all the CPU and become very slow.
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 16:26:39 +0800

Okay, I have had some progress.

The font that causes Emacs to misbehave is AdobeBlank, often shipped
in the "Google Fonts" (not Google Noto) package.

It does not have to be used for display, it is its presence that makes
Emacs cog a core.

That "Blank" font covers all of Unicode, but every glyph is an empty
picture. I guess it is designed for the situations when there may be
symbols from out of the installed range, but when displaying "tofu" is
not desired, say, on public displays.

But in any case, it is a fairly standard, widespread font. I don't
think Emacs should behave like this in its presence.

--
Yours sincerely, Vladimir Nikishkin
(Sent from GMail web interface.)