Re: Broken gnus-posting-styles?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Broken gnus-posting-styles?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 15:29:39 +0000

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Is anyone else tracking master and experiencing issues with
>> `gnus-posting-styles'?  I read my mail via nnimap, and had it set up so
>> that it Gcc's outgoing mail into my Sent directory.  As I have two
>> addresses I use, I sed `gnus-posting-styles' to
>>
>>       '(((header "from" "fau.de^")
>>          ("Gcc" "nnimap+faumail.fau.de:Sent")
>>          (address "cuvyvc.xnyhqrepvp@snh.qr"))  ;Anti-spam
>>         (""                                     ;Fallback
>>          ("Gcc" "nnimap+posteo.de:Sent")))
>>
>> But for some reason the "(header ...)" doesn't work anymore, and all my
>> messages are stored in the "Sent" directory of my primary account.  If I
>> invert the rule, I get the opposite behaviour.  Yet `(gnus) Posting
>> Styles' indicates that that this approach should work.
>
> I'm using Emacs master (1a72248901) and have no problems with
> posting-styles.  I admit I have most of my config now in
> `gnus-parameters', but would it help if you re-write the lines above
> like this:
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       '((".*"                                     ;Fallback
>          ("Gcc" "nnimap+posteo.de:Sent"))
>         ((header "from" "fau.de")
>          ("Gcc" "nnimap+faumail.fau.de:Sent")
>          (address "cuvyvc.xnyhqrepvp@snh.qr"))))  ;Anti-spam
>
> Things I've changed are order of fallback, added ".*" instead of empty
> string and removed ^ after fau.de

I just realised that the ^ after "fau.de" was obviously wrong (it was
supposed to be $, matching the end of a string).  Removing that and
swapping the order did fix the issue!  I seem to have assumed that
`gnus-posting-styles' was to be used like a `cond', but apparently that
is not the case.  The empty regular expression is fine though, because
the empty regular expression matches every string, as an empty string is
a sub string-of any string.

Thank you!