Re: lamers on IRC

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: lamers on IRC
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 17:57:33 -0700

Kinda.  RS232 was used in both the nearby and long
distance cases.  In the long distance cases it is
used to make a physically short connection to the local
modem.

If you are connecting two computers directly this way,
one of them is assuming a terminal is connected, the
other is pretending to be a terminal.

Computer A (acting as if it is a terminal) logs in to computer B
and runs a program that speaks uucp.  They move files
using that protocol over a terminal connection.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

 But with the Fediverse you have it,

Not at all - that's a very different system for a
fairly narrow set of purposes, but I'll drop it.

-t