Re: Emacs freezes again when I try to open a file including only one ver

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs freezes again when I try to open a file including only one very long line.
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 14:37:31 +0300

> From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:25:53 +0800
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> > > For example, how to get the same incremental search results
> > > displayed in real time as what in the vscode I showed.
> >
> > The results of incremental search are shown as long as displaying them
> > takes a reasonable amount of time.  When Emacs is no longer capable of
> > displaying the results in reasonable time (a.k.a. "freezes"), the
> > results are no longer displayed, to give you a responsive Emacs
> > session.
>
> But I waited a minute and didn't see any matching results highlighted
> on the screen, as shown in the attached file.

With what value of max-redisplay-ticks?

With a reasonable value, you should see a warning telling you that the
window displaying this file is taking too long to redisplay, and Emacs
should remain responsive, so that you can type C-g and then other
commands.

> BTW, all the matched results will be displayed in vscode almost at the
> same time as the input.

Can VSCode be programmed to changed its display and its commands like
Emacs can?