Re: Colouring a cell within a table

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Colouring a cell within a table
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:33:58 +0200

> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 3:29 AM
> From: "Yuri Khan" <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> To: "uzibalqa" <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: "uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor"
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Colouring a cell within a table
>
> On Sat, 17 Sept 2022 at 19:35, uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:
>
> > Am looking for information to see how I can colour a cell within a table.
> > Ideally I would like
> > to have a keybinding so that when I an in a cell its background in changed
> > to a different colour.
>
> Why do you want to do this?
>
> In general, coloring parts of a document in predefined colors is a bad
> thing to want. Users with a different color theme than yours will have
> trouble reading the document.
>
> A better direction is to define a major mode for your class of
> documents, a few faces, and fontification rules that find fragments
> your users would want colored and apply those faces. The user will be
> able to customize the faces to their liking.

I can see how your system can be much more powerful.  A fantastic approach
to implement and see other capabilities it might offer.  I was thinking
of a minor-mode that would work when a major mode is also active.  But perhaps
there are downsides that I cannot clearly see right now.  Have not done a major
mode yet, so this may be the right time to do it.