Re: Error: End of file during parsing

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Error: End of file during parsing
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:06:46 +0200

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> If a file contains N+1 open parens and N closing parens, Emacs
> displays an "End of file during parsing" error message.  It could be a
> bit smarter, though: if one assumes that the file is properly
> indented, which is usually the case, whenever a parenthesis is read in
> column 1, the number of opening and closing parens must match.  IOW,
> Emacs could point to the first such place where this is not the case.
> Such a hint would not be 100% accurate, but would be helpful.

Would be helpful, yes.  I'm not sure about the usually intact
indentation, though: sometimes when that happened to me indentation of
other top-level expressions had been messed up.  Can happen very quickly
once such an accident occurred.

Anyway - does that mean you think the compiler should do this?

Michael.