Re: Adding colour when font-lock in disabled

From: Heime
Subject: Re: Adding colour when font-lock in disabled
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 08:26:52 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, December 9th, 2022 at 7:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 01:46:18 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> > help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > From what I understand, when font-lock-mode is enabled, it takes over the
> > > face property but provides an alias property - font-lock-face. The
> > > font-lock-face property bypasses font-lock to allow coloured text.
> >
> > Really weird stuff because if you want to allow someone to specify face
> > property, just allow them to specify it.
>

> What is weird about it? font-lock-mode places face properties
> according to the mode's definitions, so it will overwrite any face
> properties you put manually. Thus the need to use a different
> property, which font-lock-mode doesn't control.

If I  want to use and enforce colour property, could there be a function that
sets the colour irrpespective of whether font-lock is "on" or "off" ?

Perhaps I should avoid using fundamental-mode as a useful mode to work with.
Is it a rule that when a new buffer is made, it goes into fundamental-mode
where font-lock is off ?