RE: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs refe

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 21:02:29 +0000

> Hi Drew,
> thanks for help.
> I don't yet understand exactly how it works.
>
> AFAIU I have to copy parts of the source file of keysee.el and sorie.el
> into my init.el file in order to install it.
>
> But which parts?
>
> this I should add:
> (global-set-key (kbd "S-<f10>") 'kc-complete-menu-bar)

That's only if you want to use `kc-complete-menu-bar'
(by hitting a key).

> what is with that?
> (require 'cl-macs) ;; cl-case, cl-loop
> (require 'sortie)
>
> Does it also belong to the part I have to copy into my init.el file?

Yes.
To use `keysee.el' you need to require `sortie.el',
And you need to require `cl-macs.el' (or `cl-lib.el').

> There is text in between code, and AFAIU text should always have ;; at
> the beginning, but there are not those ;;

Where do you see text between code (other than in
comments or strings)?  If that were the case in some
library then you couldn't load it.

> so what is the real code?
> i just started learning emacs, so please forgive my ignorance

There's nothing to forgive.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.
You should be able to first try it interactively,
i.e., without changing anything in your init file.
For that, you can just use `M-x load-library' to load
`cl-macs.el' and `M-x load-file to load `sortie.el'
and then `keysee.el'.

(Or put the latter two in a directory that you add to
your `load-path' and then load them too using
`M-x load-library' instead of `M-x load-file'.)

If you decide to use `keysee.el' then you might want
to put this or similar in your init file:

 (require 'cl-macs)
 (add-to-list 'load-path "/SOME/DIRECTORY/SOMEWHERE/")
 (require 'sortie)
 (require 'keysee)

where /SOME/DIRECTORY/SOMEWHERE/ is the directory
where you've saved `sortie.el' and `keysee.el'.

This is the "old-fashioned" way to use a library
(package).  The value of variable `load-path' is a
list of libraries and directories that contain
libraries.  Those libraries can be loaded using
`load-library' or `require' - Emacs looks for them
where `load-path' tells it to look.

See the Emacs manual, node `Lisp Libraries':

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Lisp-Libraries.html