Re: PSGML broken?

From: Ulrich Deiters
Subject: Re: PSGML broken?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:12:13 +0100

Can you tell enough details for us to try to help you more efficiently?
Like (1) what was the PSGML version you had installed before, (2) what
exactly doesn't work -- show some file, tell how you try to use PSGML,
and what happens that shouldn't?  Also, are you sure "M-x sgml-mode"
invokes PSGML and not the sgml-mode that comes with Emacs?

… with pleasure!

The old psgml version, which is still shipped with openSUSE Leap
versions <= 15.4, is 1.3.2. The most recent version is 1.3.5.

The Emacs version shipped with openSUSE Leap 15.3 was 25.3.1.
The version shipped with Leap 15.4 is 27.2, and the latest version
that I got from GNU is 28.2.

emacs-25.3.1 with psgml-1.3.2 works.
emacs-27.2 with psgml-1.3.2 fails.
emacs-28.2 with psgml-1.3.5 fails.

When I run emacs-25.3.1 on one of my XML files, it indicates that it is
in the SGML mode ("SGML" written on the bottom line, SGML menu in the menu bar). Whether this an emacs-built-in SGML or PSGML disguised as
SGML I cannot say.

I attach an XML template for letters, which invokes some DTDs.
The DTDs should be stored in a directory named $ATXHOME/xml. The
editor should be invoked as "emacs -l cfg_emacs_aux.el doc.xml".

I suspect that the new Emacs balks at something in my cfg_emax_aux.el .

Regards,

Ulrich