Re: disappearing lines

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: disappearing lines
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 21:24:52 +0100

On 2023-01-16, at 20:31, Peter Münster <pm@a16n.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16 2023, Arash Esbati wrote:
>
>> You can check your last keystrokes with `C-h l':
>
> This is not so easy, it works only in the same emacs session.
> Last time, I've discovered the disappearance of the lines 9 days later.
> I make daily backups, so I've used the diff between backup of 9 days ago
> and 8 days ago, to restore my file. It's annoying, because it's a very
> big file, with all things that I need to remember. About 20k lines.
> And about 300 lines have vanished...
> I would really like to understand, how this could happen...

I know that won't help you /right now/, but I had similar problems in
the past, and I pretty much got rid of them by commiting all my Org mode
files to Git every day (well, almost every day - my average over the
last 640 days is 0.90 times per day, although I'm getting closer to 1
recently).  It would be great if Org mode had some way to warn me when
I delete something that is invisible (or undo in invisible parts of the
buffer), but I know of no such feature, so I do what I do.  It takes
literally a minute or two every day, and I find it a very useful habit.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl