Re: Configuration files vs customization

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Configuration files vs customization
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 20:15:08 -0300

On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 at 13:34, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
>
> in the course  of my transition  from XEmacs  to Emacs  I meanwhile have
> reached the point  of getting Vm running under Emacs.   But my first at-
> tempt utterly failed.   After some  experimenting  and checking variable
> values with "C-h v" I came to the conclusion that at least in some vari-
> ables' descriptions  the remark "You can customize this variable" really
> meant "You HAVE TO customize this variable".
>
> (...)
>
> How do others solve these configuration problems?

Hi Rainer,

I use customize a bit, but I avoid it as most as possible. My ~/.emacs
has (something equivalent to) these two lines,

  ;; See: (info "(emacs)Saving Customizations")
  ;;     (find-file "~/.emacs.custom")
  (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.custom")
  (load custom-file)

and in most cases I "customize" packages by putting in my ~/.emacs
blocks of code consisting of a setq preceded by elisp hyperlinks that
point to my notes about that variable.

My experiments with alternatives to customize are described here:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-customize.html

Cheers,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev