Re: History Re: Debunking Emacs merits over GUI - Re: package for Email

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: History Re: Debunking Emacs merits over GUI - Re: package for Email
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 11:33:54 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 19:08:26 -0800
>>
>> Wasn't the display engine derived from Lucid Emacs?
>
> No, it was coded by Gerd Möllmann from scratch.  Some features were
> borrowed from XEmacs, but only as far as the specification, behavior,
> and UX are concerned; no code was taken, AFAIR.

My memory is faulty as well.  I remember JamieZ wanting to get the Lucid
Emacs code into Gnu Emacs and Stallman having a problem with (IIRC) the
proprietariness of it, but the details were too "in the weeds" for me to
follow.  I thought there was a "meeting of minds" (of a sort) that
allowed the Lucid code to be used to some degree, but I suppose your
recollection is more proper.

--
David Masterson