Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 10:46:09 +0300

> From: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:22:46 +0200
>
> My first attempt, years ago, was to unblock Emacs in case Tramp reads or
> writes large remote files. This was oursorced to a thread, and it worked
> somehow except when there was user interaction required.

Can you share your experience from that attempt?  Why wasn't it
working well when user interaction was required?

Btw, if someone is looking for a worthy development task which could
be handled by threads, I have one: make smtpmail-send-it run from a
thread, thus avoiding to lock up Emacs until the email message is sent
(or fails to be sent).  This is especially important when the link is
flaky, in which case sending an email message could lock up Emacs for
many seconds.