Emacs 29 freezing occasionally on MacOS

From: Vineet Naik
Subject: Emacs 29 freezing occasionally on MacOS
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 12:53:30 +0530

Hello,

I upgraded Emacs to version 29 (from 28.x). I am using the universal
package for 29.1.1 from https://emacsformacosx.com/builds. (MacOS version:
Ventura; Processor: Intel)

Based on the observations so far, it happens after C-g (keyboard-quit) and
the only way to recover is to kill the process. Strangely, no increase in
CPU or memory usage is seen during this time.

What I've tried so far:

1. `(setq debug-on-quit t)` which doesn't give much info but it seems to be
helping as the frequency has reduced but it still does freeze occasionally.

2. Disabled the title bar. I came across an answer[1]  on r/emacs that
mentioned the Apple window title bar calls being the problem. Didn't help
in my case.

A process sample generated from MacOS's activity manager shows a deep call
graph. Looks like it's a loop caused by "recusive_edit" but I'm not sure. I
can share the output if it's ok to attach files on this mailing list.

I am also trying to attach gdb to the process but am currently stuck at
codesigning the gdb binary (some MacOS security thing).
Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Vineet

[1]