Re: call-process -> insert -> iso-latin-1-dos problem on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: call-process -> insert -> iso-latin-1-dos problem on Windows
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:34:16 +0200

> From: Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:09:41 -0300
>
> I have a function called `find-wget' that works well in *NIX-like
> systems - it calls wget, puts the output in the temporary buffer, and
> on unices Emacs always chooses the right encoding... but when I run it
> on Windows, and I call wget like this,
>
>   wget -q -O - http://anggtwu.net/LUA/Dang1.lua
>
> where Dang1.lua is a file in UTF-8, then Emacs switches the encoding
> of output buffer to iso-latin-1-dos...

Emacs cannot reliably distinguish between UTF-8 and Latin-N encodings,
and errs in favor of the latter when the locale's encoding prefers
that.  Your Lisp programs should not assume Emacs will auto-detect
UTF-8 every time; instead, if you know for sure that a program's
output is encoded in UTF-8, bind coding-system-for-read to 'utf-8
around the call to call-process.