viewing files crashes emacs

From: Tom Goldring
Subject: viewing files crashes emacs
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 01:06:57 -0500

I'm using emacs 28.2 on a Mac laptop. Normally I view or edit files from Dired by putting the cursor on a file name and typing V (to view) or pressing Enter (to edit). This used to work perfectly well and still does for most files, but now there are some text files (mostly perl scripts, usually having no extension) that will cause emacs to completely lock up so nothing I do within emacs has any effect, and all I can do is kill the process from the command line or using "Force Quit Applications from the OS), and then run emacs again. This will happen consistently for some files but not for most others. I don't know if the affected files contain one or more characters that cause this to happen, because they behave normally if I "cat" them from the shell or view them with TextEdit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tom