Re: Identifying sources of allocations in a toy Mandelbrot package

From: Psionic K
Subject: Re: Identifying sources of allocations in a toy Mandelbrot package
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 19:03:55 +0900

> maybe floating point numbers in emacs are not immediate.

This is my hunch.  There isn't a good second guess at this point.

> try your code on sbcl

I think that's where we're going.

I was mainly hoping to start identifying forms that can do okay even
in spite of the Elisp runtime, especially for these kind of iteration
problems that could - but should not - generate lots of garbage.  The
first rows go by in the blink of an eye because of the cache locality.
Elisp is almost something.  The memory pathologies are likely
affecting every other perceived lack of responsiveness.

A relatively recent transducer library captured my curiosity.  I want
to give it a work out alongside dash for a comparison:
 https://gist.github.com/NicolasPetton/0a46d907febeef3da9e2

Writing dynamic modules to break out of Elisp is one of my next steps.
Calling out only via process pipes is rather limited.

I haven't worked with SLIME or CIDER etc yet.  Definitely need to try them out.

Thanks for helping me calibrate my expectations.