Re: How to switch off autobackup for files loaded from tramp?

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: How to switch off autobackup for files loaded from tramp?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:21:40 +0100

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> I have this in my init file:
>
>> (setq backup-enable-predicate
>>       (lambda (name)
>>      (and (normal-backup-enable-predicate name)
>>           (not (file-remote-p name)))))
>
> Thanks! This looked good and from the variable and function
> documentation it really looked like it should work.
>
> Unfortunately it didn't... emacs still autosaves for me a file loaded
> with tramp over a plink (putty SSH) connection.

Hi,

It is expected.  Autosaves and backups are two differents things (I
thought you were talking about backups).  Backups is about keeping a
copy(ies) of previous version of your file *at saving time* and
autosaves is about keeping the modifications you've made *until you
save* them.  You could read for more details in the info Emacs manual.

> Some versions:
>  GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-07-31 (windows 11
> enterprise)
>  tramp version 2.6.0.29.1
>
> Are there good ways to debug this in an "offending" buffer (ie. a buffer
> holding a modified remote file)?
>
> I.e. how to I check what the predicate returns in this buffer?
>
> How do I check what (normal-backup-enable-predicate name) returns in
> this buffer?
>
> How do I check what (file-remote-p name) returns in this buffer?

You could do:
    M-: (normal-backup-enable-predicate (buffer-file-name))
and
    M-: (file-remote-p (buffer-file-name))

But it won't help you for autosaves ;-).  You should read the
corresponding section in the Emacs manual.

Best regards,
--
Manuel Giraud