Re: Impossible to customize world clock

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Impossible to customize world clock
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 12:52:21 -0400

>> > I'm not sure it will work reliably, since the MS-Windows runtime
>> > supports a very small number of zones via those legacy specifiers,
>> > nowhere near the number of zones you will see in the zoneinfo
>> > directory of a typical Posix host.
>>
>> Oh, it wouldn't make any difference to what is supported and what is
>> not: on MS-Windows we'd use the 3rd element of the lists, and on other
>> systems we'd use the 2nd element of the list.  The purpose would be only
>> to have a single variable, so the users are less likely to update one
>> without knowing it's not the one they're using.
>
> Then maybe I'm missing something because I don't understand how would
> that help the OP.  He said:
>
>> I add a new one (Europe/Berlin):
>>
>>   '(zoneinfo-style-world-list
>>     '(("America/Los_Angeles" "Seattle")
>>       ("America/New_York" "New York")
>>       ("Europe/London" "London")
>>       ("Europe/Paris" "Paris")
>>       ("Asia/Calcutta" "Bangalore")
>>       ("Asia/Tokyo" "Tokyo")
>>       ("Europe/Berlin" "Germany"))))
>
> How would your suggestion help him to "add Europe/Berlin"?

When looking how to add Berlin, he'd search for the vars to change and
would find `world-clock-list` with a list of elements of the form (NAME
OTHERNAME FUNNYNAME), so it would (hopefully) naturally make him wonder
which part to change.  In contrast with the current situation he
stumbled upon `zoneinfo-world-clock-list` and was stumped because it
made no difference although his change was "correct".

Maybe a first way to avoid the problem would be simply to put different
places in the default value of `zoneinfo-world-clock-list` than in
`legacy-world-clock-list`, so that it'd be more obvious which is the one
currently in use.

        Stefan