Re: etags to xref changed navigation

From: Phillip Susi
Subject: Re: etags to xref changed navigation
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:02:17 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The old behavior is supposed to be necessary much less with xref,
> since xref's search is more accurate, and usually finds only one
> candidate.  So I'd be interested to know in what programming language
> do you see many candidates, and why.

Typically there is only one *definition*, but many *referenecs*.

> In addition, you haven't explained why you find the navigation in the
> XREF buffer slow and cumbersome.  Basically, once you switch to the
> XREF buffer, you can display next/previous candidate with a single
> key, which is not more typing than "M-," (and there's the ability to
> select a candidate that is not next or previous, something "M-,"
> couldn't give you).  In addition, you can customize the variable
> xref-auto-jump-to-first-definition to the value 'move' or 'show', in
> which case the first candidate will be shown even if there are several
> candidates.

I find the window splitting to be a bit annoying, and if I want to poke
around each callsite a bit, I have to keep switching windows with C-o to
move between exploring, and moving to the next callsite.

> If you still want to have the old behavior back, you can rebind M-. to
> find-tag and M-, to tags-loop-continue, which still exist, just
> without the default key binding.

Do they still function the same, especially if you are using eglot?  I
thought I checked and found that tags-loop-continue was obsolete/removed
in emacs 29.