help-gnu-music

Re: Installing info files

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Installing info files
Date: 17 Mar 2001 15:44:22 +0100

Chris Jackson <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm having trouble installing the info files.  The files
> lilypond.info* and lilypond-internals.info* are placed in
> /usr/local/info by make install.

Yes, that's a bug in autoconf-2.13, it still doesn't respect the fhs
(even the 2.13-20 Debian package doesnt!)

> Then I assume install-info is the way forward, so I do..
>
> install-info lilypond.info dir
> install-info lilypond-internals.info dir

Yes, maybe we should try to do that, too?

> Then, when running info from emacs, the dir entries are placed
> in the top-level dir:
>
> GNU music project
> * GNU LilyPond (lilypond).           The GNU music typesetter.
> * GNU LilyPond internals (lilypond-internals).           LilyPond
> internals.
>
> but they are not highlighted in bold and the links can't be followed.

No, that's a bug, as you can see.  Edit the entries, adding a colon,
to make them look like:

 * GNU LilyPond: (lilypond).           The GNU music typesetter.
 * GNU LilyPond internals: (lilypond-internals).           LilyPond

This will be fixed in 140.

> I notice that the README.txt and INSTALL.txt files don't mention
> installing texinfo docs, and recommending using the HTML docs instead.
> I guess they contain the same material anyway.

Well, not quite.  The info files do not (yet -- emacs21?) allow for
inline pictures.  The html and postscript versions of the
documentation contain lots of preformatted examples.

The info documents can be handy for searching.