help-gnu-utils

Re: grep -r doesn't work for me

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: grep -r doesn't work for me
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:54:22 -0600

Most of use got two copies of your message for some reason.

Mickey Ferguson wrote:
> Does anyone have a solution to the file case-sensitivity problem I'm
> experiencing in grep?

I take it the 'find' suggestion I posted didn't work for you?

> Filenames should NOT be case-sensitive in Windows.

You would probably have better luck asking MS-Windows questions on an
MS-Windows specific mailing list.  Most of us here on the GNU lists
probably won't know enough about MS-Windows to be able to answer.

It is great that the GNU utilities are ported to your platform and are
able to help you out there but of course we are primarily concerned
about GNU utilities on GNU systems.  On GNU and Unix systems filenames
are case sensitive.  So we just won't have your problem.

> Is there something I can do to fix this, either with configuration or a
> command-line switch or something else?

Not that I expect you to take me up on this but the best advice I can
give you is to use a GNU system.

  http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions

You can't expect any other advice when you ask questions on a GNU
mailing list can you?  :-) I mean if you were asking MS-Windows
questions on a Mac mailing list wouldn't you expect the folks there to
suggest that you use a Mac?  I would.  It just naturally follows.

You said in your mail to help-gnu-utils that you were using Cygwin.  I
know that Cygwin has a process for handling filename case issues.  The
best place to get help for your question about the Cygwin port is on
the Cygwin mailing lists.

  http://cygwin.com/lists.html

Good luck!
Bob