help-gnu-utils

Re: git/make for windows expansion of relative paths

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: git/make for windows expansion of relative paths
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:32:46 -0600

Michael Powell wrote:
> Subject: Re: git/make for windows expansion of relative paths
> As the subject states, that's my general question: how can it be
> done? I have a relative path which I need to pass along to a utility
> program in terms of its absolute path.

I am not a Microsoft Windows user so have not tested but have you
tried using:

  readlink -f ../../relative/path

'readlink -f' will turn the relative path into an absolute path.  It
will turn it into the canonical path.  Being canonical there will be
no symlinks to it.

If you don't have readlink then perhaps the Cygwin or MinGW tools for
MS-Windows would be workable?

> Thus far, attempts to do so using realpath, abspath, and a plethora
> of variants have been foiled and do not seem to work properly.

Give 'readlinke -f' a try.

> I bumped into one forum post or another that seemed to indicate that
> make 3.81 (?) may be broken for Windows along these lines, but I
> cannot say for certain.
>
> As far a I know, I am using GNU make v3.80 as exposed by Git for
> Windows v2.12.0.

If your question is specifically about 'make' then the better mailing
list is the help-make AT gnu.org mailing list where the make
developers and other make experts and users hang out.

Bob