help-gnubatch

Re: [help-gnubatch] Any support for resource limits?

From: Jan Schampera
Subject: Re: [help-gnubatch] Any support for resource limits?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:34:15 +0200

On 18.10.2011 23:54, Wechsler, Steven wrote:
I’m just getting started with GNU Batch, so please be gentle.

I know that it has the ability to define a load for a job, and the
maximum load that a host can handle. What I’m looking to do is be able
to set up an arbitrary resource that’s not restricted to the host level.

For example, most of our hosts have multiple database servers running on
them. I’d like to restrict certain types of activities (e.g. ETLs) to
one or two at a time per database instance, but I don’t care how many
are running per host (since the database instances don’t affect one
another too much).

The way I’m doing this now is with cron and a resource management system
(that I wrote) running on a MySQL Database. The system keeps track of
how many jobs are accessing a particular resource, and won’t allow any
more jobs that require that resource to start until another has exited
and released that resource (it’s actually a little more complicated than
that; when a job acquires a resource, it tells the system what
percentage of the resource it needs and the system won’t let the total
percent go above 100). I was hoping to be able to retire this system
when we moved to GNU Batch (BMC Control-M has this feature) but it looks
I may not be able to.

Hello,

from what I understand you could do that with own (GNUBatch-)variables you increase/decrease.

--
Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others.
- jbp, master of the net, in RFC793