help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] Overwriting files

From: Al Davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Overwriting files
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:37:25 -0500

On Friday 09 January 2004 01:30 pm, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
> If I am saving ac analysis output to a file and the file exist,
> gnucap asks me if I want to overwrite even when in batch (-b) mode.
> Is it a way to override this behaviour from command line or circuit
> file? I have to rm -f the file prior to each call of the gnucap
> manually which makes the Makefile more incomprehensible :)

Two possible approaches.

1.
".option clobber"

If you think this should be the default, you can put that line in
gnucap.rc , or if you built from source you can edit u_opt.cc to change
the default.

2.
Before the command that should replace the file, put "! rm -f thefile".
Remember, gnucap can run shell commands.  Just prefix with "!".

Question for all:

The default has been noclobber for historical reasons, from an old CP/M
predecessor over 20 years ago.  Which should be the default?