help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] Wave output analisys

From: Svenn Are Bjerkem
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Wave output analisys
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 23:15:45 +0200

On Thursday 31 August 2006 13:46, Rubén Gómez Antolí wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> There are a easy form to analyze outputs waveform?
>
> It's no easy with gnuplot, and gwave doesn't offer advance features.

An open-source waveform view and analysis tool is something that is really
missing in the toolchain. You have tools like grace, qtplot, rlplot, LabPlot,
veusz etc. but these are basically presentation tools that require you to do
an extra import step of your data befor you can start processing it. Another
thing is that these tools are made very general purpose and hence are quite
inconvenient for viewing output waves from simulation of electronic circuits.

The tool that I like most is CosmosScope currently from Synopsys in their
Saber tool chain. It is scriptable with Tcl/Tk and has a nice calculator, but
it is not open-source.

Maybe it would be possible to rip the plotting feature from qucs or to
integrate gnucap into qucs, then the schematic drawing would be solved also.
Somebody has to take the job to look at that integration someday. I am
currently looking at some tools using NetCDF as these are able to handle very
large data sets. I am not very far in my research yet as one of the cdf tools
I need don't compile on my gentoo.

If your professor loves windows, you shouldn't try to convince him. He has to
discover by himself, otherwise he will lock up negative to linux forever in
case you fail your mission. Professors must be handled wisely.....

--
Svenn